Wednesday, June 15, 2011

According to Plan

One thing I've learned in life, is that nothing goes according to plan. I like to picture exactly how I think my life should go, but it never works out. Although it's not necessarily a bad thing.

For example, Josh and I would have never met if things had gone according to plan. I was supposed to be working at school all summer and Josh was supposed to be selling security in Florida. It just happened to turn out that I wasn't getting enough hours at work and decided to go home for the summer, while at the same time Josh's sales team got transferred to Corpus Christi. We met a week after I got home and the rest is history! Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had stayed at school. Josh and I may have met when I visited Corpus, but I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten married. I'm SO thankful that things worked out the way they did! I can't imagine my life without Josh!

Lately things have not gone according to plan. I've been working at my office job for 4 months now, but it's not what I want to be doing. An opportunity turned up about a month ago where I would be working for a designer in her showroom a few afternoons a week. It seemed perfect. I would get to do a little design work, but still have enough hours at my office job. Then after I got the job offer, nothing happened. I tried stopping by and contacting her by phone, but she kept standing me up or just wouldn't get back to me. Finally she said she would call me for a time to meet. That was a month ago and I've heard nothing since. It was all a complete waste of my time! It still makes me mad when I think about it.

Last week I dropped off my resume at a few design companies. Two days later I got a call back from a showroom that is part of a hardware store. The lead designer wanted to hire me on as another designer. I was so excited! I thought that I would finally have the design job that I was looking for. So I went in for training last weekend and it was horrible! I called Josh crying on my lunch break. This is what the job description should have been: you will work in the hardware store wherever they need help and once in a blue moon when someone comes into the designer center, you will help them pick out paint or flooring. Basically, I would hardly be doing any design work. The worst part about it was that the job was only on weekends. They wouldn't be able to give me enough hours where I could quit my office job, so I would be working 7 days a week. No thanks! I ended up quitting yesterday and I feel great about it.

I just hate that things haven't worked out how I had pictured for my career. Fargo is a hard place to start a design career when the market just isn't there. So for now I will be staying as an office assistant. It's not according to my plan, but I'm sure things happened this way for a reason.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for having such a great attitude! You are such a great girl and so talented- I am positive that things will work out exactly as they should for you. Unfortunately, it's rarely on the schedule we set!

    ReplyDelete