Monday, June 14, 2010

Brown Thumb

There are certain things in life that Josh loves to remind me about because he knows it bugs me. Like the time that I promised to take him to see New Moon for his birthday and then never did. According to my story, it's because we were really busy and didn't have time, but Josh will tell you otherwise. And then there was the time that Josh bought me an orchid for Valentine's Day, which is now dead. He likes to claim that I "killed" it.

Some people have a green thumb and I just naturally have a brown thumb. I once bought cute little plants to decorate my bathroom and give it a fresh look. Bad idea- they were brown and dying a month later. Not exactly the look I was going for. And the last time I received flowers, I left them in the car. In 90 degree heat. In Texas. But that was really an accident. Basically anything that's green and has leaves will live a short life if left anywhere near me.

So the orchid Josh gave me was beautiful and I loved it. It had white petals with splashes of purple and was in full bloom at the time. The directions said that all you have to do is put five ice cubes in the dirt every ten days. I thought "Easy enough. I can do this!" Well, I was wrong. It was going well for awhile and I lovingly put ice cubes in the dirt every week and a half until we went out of town. We were gone for about a week and it completely messed up the whole ice cube schedule. Ever since then my orchid has never been the same. It started losing all of its flowers and then slowly started losing its leaves one by one. It now has one sad little brown leaf left.

I think it's finally time to say goodbye to my orchid. I kept denying that it was dead and hoping it was just "asleep", but it's obvious now. So yes Josh, I probably did kill it, but not on purpose. And I'm going to miss my poor neglected orchid. It was just another innocent victim of my brown thumb.


R.I.P. orchid.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! R.I.P. Orchid. Such a terrible little gardener you are!

    ReplyDelete